January brings a fresh start, an opportunity to focus on how we can make ourselves and lives better in the new year. This time of year is a great time to set the intention to clear clutter and get organized.
Although we can make change at any point in the year, January presents us with an opportunity to leave habits in 2018 and set fresh goals for personal improvement in 2019. Getting organized both helps us to organize our space as well as clear our minds to focus on other areas of our lives.
There is a strong connection between a clean space and a clear mind. Physical clutter can cause stress and mental clutter. In a disorganized space, it makes it harder to think clearly, focus, and accomplish tasks. In addition, it can make it more difficult to find missing items and live efficiently.
Tips for an Organized 2019:
1. Break Down Your Organizing Projects & Set Manageable Goals – The idea of getting an entire home organized can be an overwhelming thought. Breaking down each project into tasks or smaller areas to organize can make projects more achievable. When determining the time for each task or project, set goals that you will be able to manage and achieve. Setting lofty goals can lead to frustration and feelings of disappointment.
2. Start Small – The act of starting is the biggest hurdle. Starting with the small tasks or areas to organize will allow you to actually get started and gain momentum. You will feel a sense of accomplishment and you will be able to see improvement even with the small areas.
3. Find a Home for Everything – Finding a home for all of the items you own is extremely important. If it doesn’t have a home, how is it going to be put away in an organized fashion?
4. Create a Mail System – Paper clutter is a big issue in most homes. Creating a process for mail and other paper as it comes into the house as well as a storage system will cut down on the amount of paper that lives in your home. The first step is to open all mail that comes in. Sort through what is trash, what items you need to take action on, what you need to file and what is reading or resource material. You may have other categories as well, but these are the basic four.
5. Celebrate Success – Treat yourself when you have reached an organizing goal!
Clearing clutter from our homes and/or offices gives us a fresh start for the new year. It gives us a chance to clear out old paperwork, toys, clothes, or other items that we no longer need or want. Living with less allows us to clear space in our lives and minds to focus on what is really important to us.